In order to participate in any field-based course in the teaching licensure
programs, students must pass a State and Federal background check through
the Utah State of Education. Students must initiate the background check and
complete the fingerprinting process no later than Friday of the first week of the
semester. Failure to do so may jeopardize your ability to complete course
requirements and receive a grade in this course.
To initiate the background check process:
- Go to www.utah.gov/teachers
- Select “Background Check” application and follow the prompts.
- Select “Initial Licensure” and “Live Scan” method for the fingerprinting process.
- A $74 processing fee must be paid by credit card only.
- Be sure to click on “Generate Form.” Print this form and take it with you to
BCI – Bureau of Criminal Investigation
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84118
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm.
Your fingerprints cannot be processed until you take this form to BCI.
- An additional charge of $15 must be paid at BCI to complete your fingerprinting.
- Background check is good for three years.
- Background check status will be recorded by the UITE at the University of Utah and
instructors in future field-based classes will be made aware of your clearance status
so that you do not have to complete the check more
than once within a three year period.
IMPORTANT: You only have 30 days from the time you log into the USOE system to take your form to the BCI site and get your prints taken. If you do not complete the process within the 30 day time limit, you will be taken out of the USOE system and will have to repay the $74.00.
If a student does not pass the background check, you cannot complete the field
requirements of this course.