Community of Caring National Conference to be Held at the U
The 27th Annual Conference of Community of Caring sponsored by the UofU's Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Center for Community of Caring will be held on the university campus July 13-15 at the Fort Douglas Officer's Club.
The theme of this year's conference is identifying, creating, promoting and sustaining
a culture and climate where bullying behavior is minimized or eliminated. A comprehensive
(Pre) Kindergarten through
12th grade approach to improving the climate of the school can have a significant effect on reducing the incidence of bullying. When schools focus on building a proactive approach to creating and sustaining a positive and healthy climate, they move beyond bullying (Perkins, 2006). This year's keynote speaker is Dr. Susan Swearer, a nationally known expert on reducing bullying in schools. Dr. Swearer is an associate professor of School Psychology at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln (UNL), in the Department of Educational Psychology. She is also the co-director of the Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology; co-director of the Bullying Research Network and was recently a visiting associate professor of psychology in the Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School. She is co-editor of the widely acclaimed book, “Bullying in American Schools: A Social-Ecological Perspective on Prevention and Intervention” in addition to many other publications.
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of the College of Education are invited to attend Dr. Swearer's keynote address free of charge on July 13, 2011 from 9:30am to 10:30am in the Officer's Club at Fort Douglas. Individuals interested in attending the Keynote Address should contact Katie Lewis (www.communityofcaring.organd click on the conference tab at the top of the page.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Historic Groundbreaking for Sorenson Arts and Education Complex
- Congratulations to Class of 2011
- College Honors Douglas Hacker and Michelle Bachman
- College Welcomes New Advancement Board
- Community of Caring National Conference, “Beyond Bullying”, to be held at the U
- Angela Bradbury Participates in Congressional/White House Briefings
- College Welcomes 200 Korean Students to Campus
- Stegner Scholars Institute Prepares Students in Advanced Writing Skills
- Spotlight on Recent Faculty Publications, Grants, Honors
- Spotlight on New Faculty