Department of Educational Leadership & Policy
Marilynn Howard | 801-581-6714
Education, Culture & SocietyMichelle Turner | 801-587-7814
Department of Special Education
Educational PsychologyJoLynn Yates | 801-581-7148
Urban Institute of Teacher Education
Academic Advisors help you to:
- Learn about University graduation requirements, including general education and bachelor's degree requirements
- Connect with University opportunities and resources, including other majors and minors that might interest you
- Navigate University policies and procedures
- Learn about the course requirements for your major
- Connect with departmental opportunities and resources
- Navigate departmental polices and procedures
Meeting with your academic advisor can help you answer these critical questions and more.
- How do I declare my major?
- What classes do I need to take?
- Where can I go for help?
- How can I get involved on campus?
- What resources are available for me on campus?
- How do my transfer courses apply to my degree?
- How do I apply for graduation?
- Be prepared for advising sessions by bringing appropriate documents (DARS, test scores, transcripts, etc.), making a list of questions and concerns and planning a tentative class schedule.
- Take responsibility for learning and complying with university requirements, policies and procedures.
- Honestly communicate your unique interests, values, abilities and circumstances with your academic advisor.
- Take responsibility for achieving your success and accept the consequences of your academic and personal choices.
- Keep up with your academic progress and maintain your own advising file.
- Bring your file to each advising session, and keep all documents until you graduate.
- Meet with your advisor regularly, and whenever you have a question or concern.
- Listen attentively to your questions and concerns.
- Respect your unique interests, abilities and circumstances.
- Help you to explore academic and extra-curricular options that support your personal and career interests.
- Explain degree requirements.
- Clarify information about university regulations, policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Assist you in developing an appropriate class schedule.
- Refer you to appropriate campus resources.Help you learn how to search out answers for yourself.
- Assist you in gaining decision-making skills and assuming responsibility for your education.